The mission of Family and Consumer Sciences Education is to prepare students for family life, work life, and careers in Family and Consumer Sciences by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors needed for success, including:
Strengthening the well-being of individuals and families across the life span.
Becoming responsible citizens and leaders in family, community, and work settings.
Promoting optimal nutrition and wellness across the life span.
Managing resources to meet the material needs of individuals and families.
Balancing personal, home, family, and work lives.
Using critical and creative thinking skills to address problems in diverse family, community, and work environments.
Managing life, employment and careers successfully.
Functioning effectively as providers and consumers of goods and services.
Appreciating human worth and accepting responsibility for one's actions and success in family and work life.
The FCS National Standards
- Are based on knowledge and skills needed for home/personal and family life as well as those needed to succeed in related careers;
- Develop the context for many of the individual career areas within Family and Consumer Sciences Education (e.g. dietetics, early childhood, facilities maintenance, food service, hospitality, interior design, and so forth);
- Provide an excellent system for meeting the needs of individuals preparing for life in a global society while simultaneously preparing for careers;
- Are comprehensive and collectively provide the structure for an integrated approach to Family and Consumer Sciences Education;
- Adaptable and essential to developing an FCS program framework to meet specific needs and courses of study; and
- Address the expectations for quality FCS programs and curriculum design;
- Identify the standards for individual FCS career areas through focused and enhanced content detail and additional direction for specific career paths;
- Apply to all students regardless of age, gender, cultural or ethnic background, disabilities, aspirations, interests or motivations.